Friday, December 2, 2011

Face the Book



I remember when I was first begged to join.  Yes begged.  A friend I had a great time hanging out with in London - who introduced me to all kinds of people, implored and convinced me to join so I could share photos of our 2 weeks hanging out with all our new friends.  I actually thought "hey kinda cool way to keep in touch with all my new London Peeps" as they were HUGELY into it even though very few of my friends back in LA were .....yet.    So on my last day in London I sat in my rented flat,  turned on, logged in and joined the first wave of the social media revolution.

Cut to almost 7 years later and it is such a part of daily life that I have turned my tendency of over-sharing and "living-my-life-out-loud" into a career.  Well in theory as I am currently back to being unemployed.

This afternoon when I came out of the room where I just paid someone to painfully rip hair out of my body with hot wax (don't worry that will be a subject/rant for another day) the receptionist commiserated with my inability to buy a $300 package (so I could continue the pain and torture on regularly scheduled visits)  As it turns out she to is a Social Media and Marketing professional, and said she was psyched to find the job as a receptionist at a waxing center chain before the holidays.

Awesome.

However - that got me to thinking about Facebook once again.  Yes I know we had MySpace and other forms of social networking around before Zuckerberg took our lives and showed us how great it was to broadcast them for the world to see... but reality is that Facebook IS the real start of the Social Media Revolution.  Now social media is growing and spiraling into areas some of us may have never seen coming and I know there is more on the horizon (talking to live holograms of your friends and families from a wrist band perhaps?) but Facebook is - I guess the University headmaster of the different classes and levels of platforms we use. The Mac-Grandaddy of the social media universe so to speak.

WHY then, is the number one largest social media platform in the entire world not using the considerable resources at its disposal to help the massive amounts of unemployed / job seeking members?  I mean employers use Facebook to check us out - why can't they use it to find us for employment and vice vs.

Look guys I know you are up there in Palo Alto busy with making more money then is even fathomable, and making Mark Zuckerberg about to become wealthier then the combined worth of 27% of our nation (I'm sorry I think I just threw up in my mouth a little)  but how about helping the rest of  - oh I don't know - the WORLD but particularly your own countries economy by setting up a resource for job seekers that doesn't - pardon me - SUCK!

"Bosnia.  They don't have roads but they have Facebook"  - quote from the movie

Facebook - #FAIL!


And yes - I will still use it both personally and professionally - but doesn't mean I am still not irritated.

No comments:

Post a Comment


STAND OUT FROM THE FLOCK