Thursday, November 19, 2009

Going to the animals





Yes I am one of those "animal people". I generally find most people are - although occasionally you run into an exception. I have had people tell me that I should add animals to my repitoire of photography - but I don't have quite as easy of a time connecting with them as I do with childen or people - and that is WITH me being and animal person!

Take for example my own. My beautiful albeit willful 10 year old Labrador/Cocker Spaniel mix Ascher, and my Inglewood rescue cat ( rescued with his litter at 6 weeks old) named Pagoda or "Evil Kitty".

They are my pets and yes I think they are beautiful - but if I can't get them to "pose" to get a great shoot of them - then how on earth would I be able to do it for other people? Yes Pagoda is more of the "poser" of the 2 - but whenever I aim a camera at Ash - she just lays down and looks like she is pouting. (Maybe she is channeling her inner model - who knows) but I can never seem to capture the happy smiling face she has on most of the time when I am not aiming a camera at her.





I am impressed when I see great portraiture photography of animals - but am really quite baffled at how the photographer interacts with/ deals with their subject to get those shots. So I need to keep practicing, especially since I have a Christmas card shot next week that includes the family dog! Oh boy - should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment


STAND OUT FROM THE FLOCK